Monday, April 25, 2011

Hippity Hoppity

I know I should have blogged about this about two weeks ago, but I was still in the "testing" mode. This little project really turned out to be really cute and the kiddos LOVED it. I tried it once in college, but this is the first time with the "Easter Bunny."
I grew wheat grass in an Easter basket. It is really simple to do, you just need to think ahead. I got a large, cheap basket, lined it with a garbage bag, and put a layer of vermiculite in it (you can get vermiculite at normal gardening stores, but not in the garden section of Target or Wal-Mart). Be careful with the vermiculite, you don't want to inhale it, it is very light and easily becomes airborne. Many places say to use potting soil, but you run the risk of it getting a "fertilizer" stank(basically it smells like poo, do you really want your house to smell like poo Easter morning?) Moisten the vermiculite until it is wet but there is not standing water. Then put a layer of wheat or grass seed on the vermiculite. Trim back the plastic bag below the edge of the basket. Set the basket near a sunny window. I would spray the grass with a spray bottle daily, depending on how warm it is. I tried to put the basket in a room where the kids wouldn't see it, but they found it about two days before Easter. Anyway, I loved it so much because I didn't have to fuss with that horrible fake grass and this was so much better for the environment. We don't do much for Easter but we always get a little bit of candy to share. Sorry I didn't post it earlier, but at least this will give you a good idea on what to do for next year.

No comments: