Sunday, August 17, 2008

Harvest time, already?

We had quite a harvest today! This last month we would get a squash or two every so often and we would get tomatoes, if we could get them before the critters. But that was about the extent of our produce. We decided that we were tired of waiting for our carrots and what a surprise we found. We got about six carrots. I don’t know if it is the uranium mine that we live near or just our inexperience, but I have NEVER seen carrots quite like this. What do you think? We also harvested our first pumpkin, yippee! If you know of any good pumpkin recipes, let me know. I think I am going to try dinner in a pumpkin (anyone ever make that before?). I will try to post a picture of what I finally do with our mutant carrots. And just a side note, our peanut plant is doing surprisingly well. Does anyone know anything about peanut plants? We are just a little too new at this. Next year will be better but this gardening thing is still pretty fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those carrots are HILARIOUS! I've never seen that before in my life. Heehee! Great job this year!

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

Must be the uranium - my carrots were VERY similar looking! I must say I'm quite envious of your squashes and pumpkins. Mine all died. There's maybe two plants out there but I'm not sure which variety they are and whether they'll produce anything. I'm trying to find my dinner-in-a- pumpkin recipe for you. I also have a fabulous pumpkin spice bread if you'd like to try it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mutant carrot pics. I needed a good laugh.