Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Canning: a new found passion!

I know that I am new to the game, but I absolutely love canning. I use to think it was old-fashioned and pointless--why can something when you can buy it? With our extremely large garden we have found ourselves not eating our tomatoes fast enough. So I made salsa, Yum!!! I would say that I made up a really fancy salsa, but really it is just the recipe in the Better Home and Garden Cookbook.  I love a good cookbook, especially one that makes me look good! Not only did I make salsa but I made some more crab apple jelly, as if I didn't already have enough.  So now I am looking to tackle something else, maybe I will can butternut squash soup. Who knows? Any pointers?

1 comment:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

It's so much fun, isn't it. And to know that it's all fresh from your own garden (and without all of those harmful preservatives) is just icing on the cake. I mentioned in some post or comment a few weeks ago that my homemade salsa has totally ruined our taste for anything store bought. Poor Lee has been craving it since we used up the last jar of it over a month ago. I sent a jar of it home with my parents the last time they came, too. My dad eats fresh jalapenos whole so I made it super hot for him. :)